Saturday, October 12, 2013

Wreath Craft: using outdated metal wall decor.

I wanted to try making my own wreath for quite a long time before I actually tried it. I wasn't sure what to use and after an exhaustive web search I realized I could use whatever I wanted and I didn't have to run to the store and spend a lot of money.


I ripped an old wreath apart that had seen better days, gathered some fake flowers (some of which I got thrift shopping, some I had) and finally found a use for those metal vines and metal hummingbirds. To make the metal look less dated I added some sticky gemstones from my scrapbook stash, a couple glass rocks and intertwined the metal pieces with the fake flowers. I used hot glue to hold it all in place.






I also added a little basket that allows people who stop by to leave a note if I'm not home.

I love the way it turned out and the nice thing about the metal flowers, birds and leaves is that they sparkle in the sun and show up when the moonlight hits them. Couldn't have asked for more. I look forward to making my first Christmas wreath.


This project can be free to make if you have items in your home to re-purpose. If you need to buy materials, purchase them from a thrift store or yard sale. An ugly wreath from a yard sale is only ugly before you've ripped everything off of it and made it your own. Places like Goodwill will often have flower bunches for under a dollar. Everything I used for this was originally purchased at a thrift store.
 Happy Crafting!




No comments:

Post a Comment