Saturday, October 26, 2013

Essential Tools and Materials for Your Craft Room

     I do a lot of different crafts. In fact I tend to try a craft, do it for a little while and move on to the next one just because there are so many out there. Below is a list of the craft tools and materials I use the most for those of you who want to start crafting or just want to add some things to your craft closet.



Glue and Tape
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
  • Craft Glue
  • E-6000 
  • Masking Tape
I like to keep a few different types of glue on hand. On some projects I will just use one type of glue and on others I may choose to use two or three types. For paper crafts a glue stick, Elmer's Glue, Tacky Glue, Glue Running Bond and my Hot Glue Gun all work, but I have the E-6000 for heavier materials such as metal. If you are working with photos you will want a glue that is made specifically for them.
Extra: Glue Types


Writing Utensils and a Ruler
  • Markers
  • Pens
  • Pencils 



Stamps, Stencils and Ink Pads
  • Black Ink
  • Brown Ink
  • Gold Ink
  • Silver Ink
  • Distress Ink in Vintage Photo and Tea
  • Color Inks
  • Ink Stamps
  • Ink Dauber
  • I also have felt squares I cut for my ink dauber not shown in this photo

Clear Stamps and Stencils

Paper
  • Card stock
  • Scrapbook Paper
  • Tissue Paper 
  • Construction Paper
  • Printing paper
  • Wrapping Paper
  • and any other kinds of paper I can get my hands on since paper can be used in so many projects


 Paper Punches
I only have a few paper punches. My favorite shapes are the ones pictured above since there are so many things you can make from them such as butterflies and numerous styles of flowers.

Cutting Tools
  • Scissors
  • X-Acto Knife with blades
  • Hole Punch
  • Craft Scissors that make shaped edges such as zig-zag and wavy
  • I use a fabric-marking, rolling blade to help make clean folds in paper
  • I like to use the tool on the far right that I found in the polymer clay section of a craft store  to poke small holes, get ahold of the edge of things that need repositioned or glued down and place small objects
  • Paper Trimmer



Paint and Paint Brushes
I have no particular favorite brand of paint, although I think the Martha Stewart Pearl paints are absolutely beautiful. You'll find some paints have better coverage than others, but it really depends on your project what is best for you to use. I tend to grab paint as I find it on sale. You will also need a jar or can with some water in it to rinse your brushes and I like to keep a couple of bowls handy to squeeze a little paint into or to mix paint colors.

Helpful Tip: I save my milk bottle caps and use them to hold the paint I'm using. I will stick a little piece of tape on the underside of the cap to keep it in place. Once I'm done I can wash and reuse it or toss it out.


Ribbon



Glitter



Other Items I Like To Keep on Hand
  • Stapler
  • Mod Podge
  • Gesso
  • Modeling Paste
  • Small spray bottles to make paint sprays
  • Baby Wipes for quick cleanups and to place over areas of a project I want to protect from paint and glue
  • Rubbing alcohol
  • Roll of brown paper to keep my work surface cleaner
  • Wax paper
  • Mica Powders such as Pearl-Ex
  • Beads
  • Wood and/or foam letters
  • Some scrapbook embellishments since they can be used on cards, tags, etc.
  • Material

No comments:

Post a Comment