Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fun with Fall Colors Side Step Greeting Card

Great news! My husband started back to work yesterday with a new company. We are fortunate that two companies recognized his value and offered him a job, which allowed him to choose what was best for him and our family. We're so happy and relieved. Thanks again for the supportive words you have given me over the past two months.
 
As I watch the leaves change outside my window I'm being inspired to use bright colors. I want to say that I have no Fall themed paper. I think it's important to stress that you don't need it. Sure it's nice to go out and find some, but if you don't have it there are a lot of ways around it, such as paint, ink, stamps, etc. Just using what you have to create something unique is honestly a fun thing to do.
At first I wasn't certain about using pearls with jute twine and burlap leaves, but the curves of the pearl embellishments make me think of the wind swirling leaves around, so I went for it.
 





 
The first thing I made was the stamped image/title for my card by wiping ink across a white sheet of cardstock and then stamping my image on top of the colors.
 
To cut it out I used a Spellbinder's square that's wasn't much bigger than my stamped image.
 
Quick Tip: I've been using the same two pieces of blue painter's tape to hold my die in place for about 3 months. I place my two tiny pieces of tape when I'm done with them on the top of my die cutting machine for next time. This makes it very convenient and is great for a couple of reasons - 1) You're not being wasteful  2) Tape that has been used before is less likely to cause any damage to your paper, yet will still hold everything in place for a very long time.
 
To finish my stamped image I matted it with a Spellbinders die-cut in deep brown and embellished the corners with pearls.
 

Making the Card Base 
 
Although there are many ways to make this type of card I used the tutorial by Gloria Shirr.

Side Step Card Made Easy - Inside and Out

To Make the Leaves
I used the the Tim Hotz Alterations "Tattered Leaves" die (556927) and colored them with Rubber Stampede ink in Scarlett, Orange and Yellow. I edged the leaves with
Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo and used Stazon ink in Timber Brown for my stamped image. The base paper is just thin white cardstock. I also used burlap paper to make the leaves in the background and just colored them with ink.

  I added yellow pearls without flowers as a reflection of all the beautiful summer flowers that are now fading and the petals have fallen off. Funny, the things we think of and about as we go along. 

  

  Happy Crafting!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment