Sunday, October 12, 2014

Halloween Card: Sometimes Spiders Aren't Quite as Scary

Hello Everyone!
Today I'm sharing a very simple card I made for +Consuela Gomez's challenge, Create a "Scary" Halloween Card. Her challenge was a lot of fun, because I had never made a Halloween card before and had no idea where to start to make it scary. I started by finding a face for my pumpkin.

My card can be made quickly with very few special materials and craft machines needed. I used my Sizzix Die Cutting machine to make the ovals and to emboss the center oval, but ovals can be printed out and then cut by hand and a paper with a design on it can be used instead of embossing plain paper.
 
The main challenge once I decided what I wanted to do was coming up with a way to keep the eyes from moving.

I wanted them fixed to one side as if the pumpkin is looking at the spider.

It was easy. I cut a small triangle in the back where I wanted the pupils of the eyes to be and placed some glue in there. I used hot glue so I could do this quickly, but any glue can be used since you won't see it. Once your glue is dry just make sure the pupil is centered over the glue spot.
 
 
I found and printed out, on my orange paper, the face and spider I wanted and then cut out my ovals around them.

For my sentiment I went into the free online program Picmonkey and chose letters that I thought would be appropriate then printed my word out on white cardstock.

To make the edges of my sentiment a bit more fancy I just cut them from each corner to the middle with scissors to give the effect of a banner. Then I inked the edges of my pumpkin in orange ink and the sentiment in purple (Rubber Stampede ink) as well as brought some of the purple ink onto the sentiment itself by lightly dabbing.
 
 
The main card is made from deep purple cardstock.

I matted the pumpkin with black and green cardstock.

To make the green cardstock a little more interesting I scored across the paper with a bone folder to make lines.

I cut the stem for the pumpkin free-hand in a light brown cardstock and then edged it and gave it more color with Tm Holtz Distress Ink in Olive.
 
 
That's it! You can make one too.

Happy Crafting!
 post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment