Tuesday, January 27, 2015

How To Get More Out of Your Cutting Dies: Looking for Usable Shapes in Die-cuts

Hello crafty friends!

Today I'm sharing something I was messing around with recently. I decided to take one of my fancy die-cuts to see what I could do with it and below are a few of the things I discovered. 

I found a really cute flower among this design. You can also use this particular shaped piece to make wings for a dragonfly, leaves, a cross, etc.

Cut the corner designs away and you have a beautiful butterfly or corner designs for any shape card. Turn one corner upright and you have a crown. Turn it upside down and you have the entire body, hands and feet of a Christmas Caroler (just add a head). Remember you can always cut little pieces off to get a more specific shape. Place a doily or another piece over it and have it as a pretty background filler. Those little loops in the middle of the die-cut could be the trail of a bee.

I found that even your odd shapes can have many purposes. In fact when you look at the photo below on the left, imagine the corner brackets I made as scary pumpkin eyes

For one of my recent cards I used a piece of my die-cut just to make the corner of my card a little more interesting. 

So grab a die-cut and start seeing what you can make out of it. 

I used the Cricut Cuttlebug Flourish Emblem die
If you like this you might like these...

How to Get More Out of the Cutting Dies You Already Own: Making an Assymetrical Die-cut, Symetrical




Happy crafting and thanks for stopping by :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment