Friday, December 19, 2014

Winter Tablescape: Trees Made from Bordette Decorative Border Craft

Hello crafty peeps!

Today I'm having fun working on a winter tablescape. I want a snowy feeling with pine trees and rolling hills to set up my glass snowman collection. There will be some color, but because this particular decoration is something I will leave up throughout the season I don't want a Christmas scene, but instead just a winter one. Eventually I will be making a blue background with sparkles and snowflakes and then underneath will be white lights to light up the entire scene. The bottom of this particular tree will not be cut so the base will blend into the snow covered hills I will be making.


To make the core of my tree I used one 12"x12" sheet of Colorbok chipboard that I rolled into a cone shape. When I was done rolling it there were a couple of corners sticking out at the bottom and I just cut those away to make a flat surface. I used hot glue since I was concerned that any tape I have would not be strong enough.


To make the outside of my tree I used Pacon-Bordette Decorative Border. If you're unfamiliar with it, it's the scalloped border many teachers use in their classrooms around their chalkboards, posters and special class events to make them stand out.

I separated the border at the pre-made scalloped line in the center and then cut between each scallop so I would have scalloped pieces to hot glue onto the core of my tree.

I wasn't very particular about how they went on my tree, but I would recommend staggering them the best you can. Similarly to what I show below and in the next photo. This will make your tree look more full by avoiding your pieces being in even rows. You will not be able to line the pieces up perfectly since the tree narrows as you get closer to the top, but just try to keep the pieces staggered and it's okay if they overlap sometimes. 

I started from the bottom and worked my way up. 

Note: Only add a thin line of glue to the very top edge of each piece so you leave plenty of room to cut your fringe.


Next, starting from the top of the tree and making my way to the bottom I cut in the creases of each corrugated piece. Shown below with the arrows. 
Note: Don't cut the whole way to the top, although the dried glue will often stop you from over-cutting.



That's it! Now I have a couple more trees to make and I will have my snowman tablescape. I may decide to add something to my trees, like fake snow or a little diamond dust. I'm not sure yet, but there are plenty of choices out there. 

Supplies
Colorbok chipboard
Pacon - Bordette Decorative Border
Hot glue
Scissors

Have you made yourself a tablescape for the holiday or season? I would love to see it :)
Happy crafting and thanks for stopping by :)
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment