Sunday, March 30, 2014

Flower Box Greeting Card

Hello everyone! I'm so excited today to share with you a new kind of card (new to me) that I had so much fun making.
A greeting card that transforms into a decorative box just by opening it. I love it! 
I was surprised how easy this was to make. It's a bit time consuming with the measurements and cutting, but well worth it. I had caught a video on YouTube by +Wendy Cranford and another video by +Tina Weller that inspired me to give it a shot. I have placed the links for them at the bottom of this post. They take you through each step of the project and Tina Weller provides links to who inspired her to try it as well. 


Initially I was only going to use purple and green, but the project just grew as I went with more and more color. I love the way it turned out and I will continue to see what decorative accents I can come up with as there is no limit to the possibilities. Spring is barely here and I'm already thinking about the cute Christmas cards I can make with this design.


I used ek flower punches and Sizzix die cuts to make the flowers and then I colored them with Rubber Stampede Dye based inks. Each flower got a gem or pearl embellishment and for the larger flowers I placed a button behind the pearl for more color.


Here is some of the equipment I used and the printed paper is from K&Company Susan Winget which is my favorite papers. I just can't get enough of them and use them in my projects often.

This is the card laying flat with the two flaps pulled down to expose the inside. I think it looks gorgeous already. I added a beautiful purple paper to the inside of the flaps from DCWV's Violet Leaf Stack.

Sorry about some fuzziness in the photos. The sun is just not cooperating and I find myself in odd positions to try and get a little light.

Links to Videos
Wendy Cranford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiGXr0UyEQ

Tina Wellers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XHN5WG2hOQ


I just came across this and noticed it was the exact measurements that I used. If you don't like videos because you'd rather see the measurements at a glance, this step-by-step tutorial from SplitCoastStampers makes it very easy.
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/popupboxcard/
You can find an adorable version of this card by +Heather Kraafter
http://kraaftshaak.com/card-creating-fun-part-1-2/


A special "Thank you" for the How-To videos ladies



Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment