Sunday, January 3, 2016

Yarn Craft Project: Make a Sprang Satchel on Your Own Homemade Loom

 My first love is paper crafts, but over the years I have learned to do some fabric art techniques such as Card Weaving, Inkle Weaving, Stick Weaving and Sprang of which I really enjoy. Today I'll be sharing a satchel I made using the Sprang technique.

I had never heard of Sprang Weaving before the day I learned to do it. Some of my girlfriends and I just decided to take a class at a medieval event for the heck of it and it was a lot of fun. When the class ended I couldn't wait to make something and pictured below was the first thing that I made.

Sprang allows you to make a weaved item that will stretch big enough to accommodate what you need it to carry or contain, but sprang can also be used to make a gorgeous scarf, blanket, clothing, winter hat, and many other things. So if your looking for a new yarn craft, you may want to check out Sprang. 
"Sprang is an ancient method of constructing fabric that has a natural elasticity. Its appearance is similar to netting, but unlike netting, sprang is constructed entirely from warp threads. Archaeological evidence indicates that sprang predates knitting; the two needlework forms bear a visible resemblance and serve similar functions but require different production techniques..." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprang)  
A satchel for carrying and covering a soda or water bottle made from the Sprang technique.
Sprang stretched out to show the weave pattern.

Shell discs were used to decorate the front of the Sprang Satchel.
Sprang looms come in many forms. Below are examples of what two loom designs would look like made from PVC pipe. These looms can be built to stand on their on with some PVC pipe Ts.

PVC pipe Sprang Loom

PVC pipe Sprang loom.

I was excited to see the PVC pipe design instructions because building this loom is very inexpensive, easy to build and it's a very sturdy design. You can find one of the PVC Loom Building links below.

Braided yarn to make the satchel straps 

A satchel made from the ancient Sprang Technique holding a soda bottle to make it easier to carry, keep the soda cool and to keep this modern bottle covered/hidden when attending medieval events.

I'm not positive, but the instructor for making the loom may have been my instructor for the class I took. If you Google "Sprang Weaving" you can find a lot of information and videos on building a loom as well as how to get started.


Happy Crafting and stop by again for new projects!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment