Thursday, September 18, 2014

Repurpose a Peanut Can for Gift Giving

Hello peeps! I've been working on a project that will take me at least through tomorrow to finish, but I want to share a little gift my daughter and I made together for her boyfriend from an old peanut can. I love to repurpose and recycle and I think that has rubbed off on my daughter. I also love that my daughter enjoys making handmade gifts for people.
 
 
This can is very similar to the can she began with.

She used the Spellbinders Nestabilities Standard Circles die pack (S4-114) to cut out a round piece of deep brown cardstock to cover the top. The largest circle is the perfect size. Then she used Stazon ink in Timber Brown to color the edges of the lid that would not be covered and to give the paper a textured, leather-like appearance. To hide the edge of the paper circle and give the top of the can a little pizazz she hot glued twine around the inner lip of the lid.

For the exterior of her project she used Tattered Time cardstock by DCWV. I really like this paper and the colors are perfect for giving a project a masculine feel. To cover the outside she cut a strip of cardstock (approximately 3" tall by 12" wide) and wrapped it around while taping it into place. The 12" wide paper did not quite make it the entire way around the can so she took the plain brown cardstock she was using and filled the gap giving the point where it joined a clean, finished look. For the outer edge of the lid she used brown ribbon and then added some wooden beads on the twine.

Inside she lined the can with clear plastic by cutting a baggy into a strip and then added a circle of cardstock to cover the bottom. To finish her gift she placed a note in the can and then filled the can with one of her boyfriend's favorite treats. An easier way to do the inside would be to use a cute cellophane treat bag, but we didn't have any and had to improvise.
I think it turned out really cute and it only took about 15 minutes to throw together. 




Happy Crafting!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment