Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Chair Makeover - Shabby Chic

Hello everyone! My girlfriend and I had a blast this holiday weekend. We ran around her little town on Saturday from morning until late afternoon shopping at all the yard sales. Every year her town has a day when you can't go down a street without yards full of treasures. The park even fills up with people who are on the outskirts of town wanting to sell their "junk".

I had specific things I was looking for, a chair for one of my craft desks, chandelier that I could alter for a Shabby Chic touch in my craft room, some doilies, and I am happy to say that I found everything I wanted. I also picked up some pink and white, striped wallpaper that I can use in my room and for craft projects. I haven't made any changes to my chandelier yet, but I did give the dated chair a shabby makeover and it turned out great. I draped some accessories on it that I got during our yard sale adventure too.

Nothing like redoing an old chair to make it look old.


I didn't mind the scratches, because I was going to make it look old and abused anyway. The first thing I did was remove the seat and paint the chair. I used a paint brush for all the nooks and crannies and then a small roller for a nice even coat on the rest of the chair. 
The vinyl covered cushion was damaged and dirty, but it is a very sturdy chair and worth the easy fix. 

The second thing I did was remove the old cover from the seat cushion. I have to say this part was quite nasty.


A friend of mine had given me some scrap material. I loved this material, but it was so small I wasn't sure what I would ever do with it. The beautiful pink and white material was sewn to an odd strip of red, black and white printed material. I'm not sure why, but it gave me the extra material I needed to be able to wrap my new chair cushion.

Craftaholics Anonymous has a great tutorial on upholstering chair seats if you've never done it before and the the same principles go for reupholstering. Before attaching the new covered seat I sanded the white paint on the chair frame to give it a worn, peeling paint look.


I love the material on this chair. It was the touch I was looking for.

Now I have a beautiful, Shabby Chic chair to add to my craft room. I can't wait until I'm done with my craft room and can show my chair in its new home.

Here is a sneak peak of another craft room project

Below is the chandelier I picked up for $5.00. I can't wait to start working on it and most importantly to remove the yellowed, ugly ceiling fan that's currently in my room.

I have big plans for this chandelier and love that there are hooks on the base to hang crystals. Stop back again and see the updates!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment